Photo above: Year 10 Students at Dragon’s Den competition at the University of Surrey - July 2012
Key Stage 4 & 5
A Level Business Studies investigates the world around you. You will look at all the different functions within a business and how they work together. What external influences can affect the ways businesses operate in the economy, and how businesses address social and environmental issues.
Business Studies should appeal to those who:
- Have an interest in how business operates.
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to their own lives and experiences.
- Would like to study an area that offers opportunities for a career in business.
- Would like to learn how to make business decisions and solve business problems.
- Wants to keep their options open – Business Studies can be a useful choice for a wide range of careers and can be combined with a wide range of subjects.
We do advise that candidates have a good grade in GCSE Maths owing to the course having financial aspects and GCSE English as candidates are required to write analytical answers and reports. No previous knowledge in Business Studies is necessary, however we would expect you to be familiar with current commercial affairs.
Students will study Marketing, Accounting and Finance. The study of marketing focuses on the process of identifying, targeting and satisfying customers. The finance section of this module looks at drawing up company accounts and analysing them, managing cash-flow and budgets. We also study People and Operations Management. This looks at what motivates people to work, how to manage people, different leadership styles, organisational structures and so on.